Senior Mechanical Structures Engineer
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2023
Anduril is a defence technology company, bringing Silicon Valley talent and funding to the defence sector. Our technology helps our customers solve their toughest challenges by enabling them to make better, more informed decisions in life-and-death situations. We’ve assembled a diverse team of experts in artificial intelligence, computer vision, sensor fusion, optics, and data analysis that are creating software and hardware solutions to radically evolve the capabilities of the Australia and our allies. If you are passionate about solving problems that have real impact, come join Anduril and build the future of defence.
As our team continues to quickly grow, we are looking for motivated candidates that are inspired to work within an extremely energetic, creative, and innovative team that is passionate about subsea robotics and exploring the open ocean. We work in a highly dynamic environment where collaboration and idea sharing are a way of life.
We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Structures Engineer to join Anduril, working in a cutting-edge start-up environment to advance the state-of-the-possible in subsea robotics.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Own hardware from concept generation to real world use.
- Analyse concepts of operation to identify critical load cases and design features, and conduct first-principles analyses on conceptual designs for key components of the Extra Large Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (XL-AUV).
- Design and perform structural, modal, and dynamic analyses on critical mechanical systems, including the vehicle structural frame, drag fairings, launch and recovery equipment, etc.
- Support fabrication of small scale and full-size prototypes, including creating specifications for weld and inspection for production of large format welded structures.
- Perform mechanical engineering system development, analysis, and prototyping to solve challenging subsea design issues and validate new designs for use in the XL-AUV.
- Perform research and testing on vehicle design for extended subsea exposure including the effects of corrosion and biofouling.
- Lead design reviews, run analysis, visit vendors, define and execute hardware test plans.
- Build prototypes, analyze failures, and transition successful projects into production.
- Support critical hardware demonstrations with customers as needed.
- Travel to test sites and vendor locations to foster a test-first culture and engage with vendors on technical challenges.
- Experience in an immersive technical project (collegiate project teams or professional settings).
- 10+ years' of mechanical design, analysis, and manufacturing experience in a professional setting.
- 5+ years’ experience performing structural analyses on welded aluminum structures, composite frames, or complex assemblies with the ability to draw meaningful conclusions and communicate results.
- 5+ years’ experience performing thermal analyses.
- CAD skills (any platform) and ability to make high quality engineering drawings that meet common industry standards.
- Demonstrated hands-on fabrication skills.
- High competence with, and fluid use of, engineering first principles.
- BS, M.Eng, MS or PhD in an engineering field.
- Ability to hold an Australian NV2 Security clearance is required for this position.
- Experience in SolidWorks/Teamcenter.
- 5+ years working with subsea mechanical systems with a thorough understanding of the ocean environment including the effects of exposure to seawater, pressure, and temperature.
- Ability to integrate electronic components into mechanical designs (motors, controllers, sensors etc.).
- Experience with machining, sheet metal, injection molding, and 3D printing.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you are someone passionate to work on problems that matter, we’d love to hear from you!
See more open positions at Anduril Industries
Something looks off?