Flight Sciences Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 9, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Flight Sciences Engineers in the Flight Systems Directorate apply principles of physics to all aspects of flight, including aerodynamics, propulsion, aircraft performance, stability and control (S&C), and guidance and control (GNC) to support programs and product teams, UAS designers, and ground and flight test activity. Roles may include some or all of the following:
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Applying understanding of vehicle dynamics, equations of motion, and physics of flight to predict and analyze aircraft, autopilot, and mission performance of existing UAS.
- Analyzing and predicting performance of new UAS concepts, quantifying effect of changes to existing UAS designs (including payload integrations), and identifying potential improvements to existing UAS designs
- Creating, maintaining, and updating simulation environments and models for flight vehicles, including Monte-Carlo and full software-in-the-loop flight simulations, fly-out models, and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) models.
- Analyzing flight and wind tunnel test data and comparing results to predicted performance to refine and verify simulations and models.
- BS in Aerospace Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline.
- Effective personal and technical communication skills, including technical documentation and reporting skills and data visualization and presentation skills.
- Professional personal skills
- U.S. Person status is required as this position needs to access export controlled data
- Advanced degree in one of the disciplines listed above or related disciplines.
- Experience with the following:
- Flight simulation development
- UAS autopilot / GNC design and evaluation
- Creating CFD models and applying results to multi-disciplinary analysis and design of flight vehicles
- Flight and wind tunnel testing and data analysis
- Aircraft design
- Proficiency in C++, Fortran, MATLAB, Simulink, or Python
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!