Technical Program Manager, Air Defense
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
We build robots that find other robots and knock them out of the sky. At a time when air superiority can no longer be taken for granted, the Counter Unmanned Aerial Systems (CUAS) team provides mission critical capabilities to warfighters. From detection to tracking, identification, deterrence, and defeat, our family of networked sensors and effectors enables our customers to rapidly close the kill chain against a broad range of UAS threats. Working across product, engineering, sales, logistics, operations, and mission success, the CUAS team develops, tests, deploys, and sustains the Anduril CUAS Family of Systems (FoS) in challenging operational environments worldwide.
As a Technical Program Manager, you will be responsible for managing technical execution and customer success for one of Anduril’s CUAS customers with a special focus on infrared imaging and radio frequency detection in an austere environment. You will be required to learn technical concepts and employ them quickly. You will be expected to use your technical knowledge in conjunction with your program management skills to lead cross-functional efforts and deliver the best outcome for Anduril and the customer. Deploying our CUAS capabilities requires thorough understanding of mission requirements, thoughtful orchestration between Anduril teams and external stakeholders, and meticulous planning in the face of ambiguity. You thrive in the unknown and create order out of the chaos.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Ownership: PMs are owners; we’re looking for those who assume responsibility, possess a healthy dose of skepticism, and contribute to a culture of high performance. Lead the project from start to finish with the customer and the engineering team. Develop the technical path for success, identify engineering needs, and validate the projected outcome with the customer. PMs are empowered to quickly assume high levels of responsibility and entrust them to actively own their account and shape its success.
- Mission Execution: Do whatever it takes to achieve mission success for Anduril and our customers. Meticulous and detailed-oriented, you will manage every step of the fielding process for our newest capabilities. No job is too small. You capture every learning point and bake them into operational processes for future deployments. You consistently demonstrate extraordinary judgement, grit, and composure in high pressure situations. You anticipate every contingency, build lightweight processes, soberly assess and mitigate risk, and deliberately learn from your experiences to continuously improve.
- Embed/Engage: Work side-by-side with our customers to understand their specific mission challenges and represent the customer as you work with Anduril engineers to shape capabilities that solve critical national and international security challenges. Anduril engineers rely on PMs to understand the lay of the land and bring a perspective that informs the development process.
- Build/Orchestrate: Work with Anduril engineers to build the solution and/or pivot development as needed to meet client needs. Successfully developing our complex hardware and software capabilities requires collaborating with nearly every internal Anduril team: engineering, product, logistics, finance, legal, contracting, technical operations, and many more. You’ll be responsible for ensuring each party is engaged and informed and will therefore become well-versed in what it takes to really bring the best of Anduril to our customers.
- Narrative-Building: Possess a strong story-telling skillset and the ability to tailor that narrative across audiences (government stakeholders, other vendors, engineers, etc.). You'll make sure everyone on the team not only understands what we are building, but why as well.
- Proven customer-facing technical program management and/or systems engineering experience, preferably in the defense, national security, or aerospace domains
- Proven experience leading a technical team of peers to field hardware or software products to real operating environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to travel up to 50% of the time
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, computer science, or related field preferred
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!