Huntsville, AL, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Anduril’s Rocket Motor Systems (RMS) group is seeking a Senior Ballistics Engineer to join our team. The RMS group designs, develops, and manufactures next-generation solid rocket motors for defense and space applications at Anduril.
As a Senior Ballistics Engineer, you will design, analyze, and evaluate the performance of solid propellant rocket motors for tactical and space launch systems. The right person for this role has experience designing, modeling, and analyzing the ballistics performance of solid rocket motors using a variety of computational tools. If you are someone who enjoys working on challenging design and optimization problems as well as developing computational tools then this role is for you.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Complete grain design, propellant thermochemical analysis, and ballistics performance analysis for rocket motor testing and proposal support.
- Evaluate results from rocket motor static tests as well as sub-scale burning rate and propellant characterization.
- Develop, utilize, and continuously improve computational tools for the design, optimization, and analysis of solid propellant rocket motors and their sub-systems.
- Track both sub-scale and static test data to maintain statistical quality control databases.
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams to ensure compliance with specifications and fulfillment of contractual obligations.
- Interface effectively with both external customers and internal team members through presentations, formal reports, and meetings.
- Participate in the development of test plans and technical reviews.
- Perform various other related tasks as required by the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to program in Python, C++, and/or MATLAB
- Experience with numerical analysis and modeling
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to problem solve independently as well as in a group setting
- Ability to obtain and hold a U.S. Secret Security Clearance
- 3-5 years of rocket motor ballistics modeling experience
- MS or PhD in a field related to solid rocket motors
- Experience with trajectory analysis, shaping, and optimization
- Experience with finite element analysis (FEA)
- Experience with computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
- Experience with Solidworks or comparable CAD software
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!