Senior Mechanical Engineer
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2023
What We're About
At Brewbird, we believe in building a sustainable future in coffee. We’re developing a technology platform to scale the $100 billion specialty coffee market, while working with top local and national roasters to bring the highest quality cup of coffee to every home and office. Brewbird is backed by some of the world’s best venture funds. We’re a passionate team of builders who use technology to craft elegant and delightful solutions to challenging real world problems. Come drink some coffee with us!
What You'll Be Working On
Brewbird is seeking a versatile and motivated mechanical engineer to join our early team to help us fundamentally change how people access coffee. You will be collaborating closely with our internal team and external partners to continue development of our existing B2B brewer and help design the next generation of brewers. This will involve conceptualizing mechanical designs and strategically balancing theory, schedule, and cost to ensure project success. You will perform engineering analysis of parts and assemblies that can include: stress, fatigue, lifetime, manufacturability, failure modes, and cost. Ultimately, the goal is to bring the Brewbird product to life in a contract manufacturing setting, focusing on critical aspects of design for manufacturing and optimizing assemblies.
This role will be based in San Carlos, CA, with the possibility of occasional travel. The base salary range for this role is $135,000 - $155,000.
Core Responsibilities 🛠️
- Design electromechanical systems for the next generation B2B brewer, including plastic, metal, and sheet metal components integrated with sensors and actuators
- Continue development of existing B2B brewer, performing root cause analysis, generating design changes and updates using SolidWorks to resolve engineering gaps
- Perform various testing and analyses to ensure designs meet product goals, including thermal, fluid, and structural analyses, with a focus on reliability and manufacturability
- Drive designs across the entire development lifecycle, including brainstorming, CAD, prototyping, testing, manufacturing and service
- Collaborate closely with a multi-disciplinary team that includes electrical and firmware engineers as well as supply chain, production engineers, service technicians and customer-facing team
Desired Qualifications ✅
- BS/MS Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical degree
- 5+ years’ experience taking mechanical designs successfully from concept to validation and deployment
- Experience with injection molded plastics, machined, and sheet metal parts. Ability to specify the optimal alloys, plastics, and other materials for a variety of environments.
- Experience with motor-driven mechanisms
- Background in consumer product manufacturing
- Experience with fabrication and assembly methods to optimize Design for Manufacturing. Knowledge of product servicing needs to optimize Design for Serviceability.
- Experience working with overseas contract manufacturers and remotely directing activities during pilot and production builds.
- Experience with root cause analysis tools such as 5-Whys and Fishbone diagrams
- Proficiency in with Solidworks or similar CAD software
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience working with suppliers, vendors and CMs
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping, design-for-manufacture, design-for-test, and design-of-experiments
- Strong presentation and communication skills for driving critical design decisions
- Ability to travel up to 20%
Our core values ☕
- We operate with a spirit of generosity. We go the extra mile to act in ways that allow others to experience happiness, success and fulfillment - in big ways and small. We believe acting and communicating openly, honestly and generously is a virtuous cycle.
- We do the work that truly matters. There's so much we can do, and so we ruthlessly focus on the things that allow us to have the most impact. To us, results matter more than hours worked or time spent. We protect our time and are considerate of the time of others so that we can all be at our best in work and life.
- We believe in joining forces. We bring people with different experiences, backgrounds and perspectives together to accomplish far more than we ever could alone. When we don't know something, we ask. We believe in supporting each other and ultimately hold ourselves accountable to each person that makes up the Brewbird whole - our customers, roasting partners, employees and more.
- We prove bold ambition and integrity can co-exist. We're in it for the long haul. We set big, audacious goals - ones that make our hearts proud - and take the responsibility that comes with them seriously. We're honest with ourselves and others about where we are and what we're working on. We keep on keeping on with persistence and seek to master the art of resilience along the way.
- We cultivate joy, together. For us, coffee is ultimately about feeling good. And, we believe the best things in life are experienced together. We're motivated by genuine human interaction. Work and productivity have their time and important place, yet we're not "nothing but business" kind of people. We believe in bringing people together to celebrate life's moments - big and small.
At Brewbird, we put our people first. In addition to a competitive compensation package with meaningful early stage equity, we provide our employees with flexible paid time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, 401k plan, flexible work environment, and a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking.
Brewbird is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
See more open positions at Brewbird
Something looks off?