Free Agency is on a mission to empower people to reach the highest levels of their career potential. We work with talent to break the information and process asymmetries holding them back from doing more, making more, and being more. We’ve raised over $15M from world-class investors like Maveron, Resolute Ventures, Bloomberg Beta, Kevin Durant and Rich Kleiman’s Thirty Five Ventures, Palm Tree Crew, and more.
Free Agency brings Hollywood-style career management to knowledge workers, starting with the tech industry. We provide concierge services and digital products to help people find incredible jobs, make more money, and become high-performing leaders. Unlike solutions in recruiting, we’re entirely paid by the talent we work with, which enables us to provide them with dedicated Talent Agents to manage “the business end” of their career. Talent success becomes our success.
To date, we’ve helped hundreds of professionals negotiate over $340 million in offers, and work with talent building the cutting-edge future in the startup and tech industry.
About the job:
We’re looking to expand our team of Reverse Recruiters, aka Talent Agents. You'll manage individual talent in tech just like an agent or broker might represent their clients in Hollywood, sports, or real estate. You’ll have the option to either build your own book of business or have us fill your roster of clients.
We charge our Free Agents (clients) a percentage of their income once they have a new job, creating an incentive-aligned model. Our Free Agents are mid-to-senior candidates in the tech industry with roles in software engineering, product management, marketing, design, and more, and each of them represents a significant placement fee.
People with multiple backgrounds can excel in this role, including business development & salespeople, recruiters, customer success managers, and others with an account management skill set. This role is flexible in seniority based on a candidate’s experience and capabilities.
- Onboard and manage clients (Free Agents), collaborating closely with them on the hunt for their ideal job. You’ll quarterback the process of helping them find and win that job, staying up to date on their roles and industries along the way.
- Run and control your own strategy considering a variety of Free Agency playbooks to service your clients, including career discovery calls, network introductions, writing services, interview prep with subject matter experts, and offer negotiation support.
- Provide best-in-class advice across inflection points, including interviews and negotiation.
- Create your own systems strategy, acquiring + using internal and external resources to result in faster placements – you’ll run the business of ‘you’ as a Talent Agent.
- Track metrics across your portfolio of managed Free Agents to prioritize your time, understand success, and drive outcomes.
- Research and stay tuned to the startup and tech industry at large, understanding trends and people in venture capital, employment, sub-industries, and recruiting can influence careers and outcomes.
- Possess extremely strong written communication skills, as many of your wins will be related to your ability to engage, persuade or coach others through email or Slack.
- Bring strong detail-orientation and organizational skills to properly track many moving pieces to a high-stakes relationship.
- Be a quick learner with a strong interest or familiarity with the tech and startup industry, capable of advising your clients on top companies, key players, and emerging trends.
- This is a commission-heavy role with a baseline OTE of $150,000 and unlimited potential upside as you generate more revenue; Free Agency offers significant employee ownership via equity.
- We also offer 100% coverage across medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Free Agency’s Refresher program recognizes that our fast-paced work environment is enabled by proper time off. Accordingly, we have company-wide recharge weeks and offer generous PTO.
- Core to our mission is expanding diversity & inclusion within tech. Accordingly, we encourage candidates from underrepresented + nontraditional backgrounds to apply.
Why Free Agency matters:
Job search and career progression are broken. Candidates haphazardly apply to jobs, meet only a few companies, settle during offer negotiation, and generally don’t optimize the process of moving along in their careers. As a result, Free Agency believes that everyone is undercompensated.
That doesn’t just have to do with the money we make, but also the teams we’re a part of, the type of work we get to do, and the alignment to mission along the way. All of this has an impact on our own satisfaction, health, and financial wellness, but we don’t give it the attention it deserves.
By aligning incentives with individual talent, Free Agency is enabled to build first-of-their-kind products & services and define a new category of career management.