Mechanical R&D Technician - 1st Shift
MECHANICAL R&D TECHNICIAN
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Mechanical R&D Technician at Freeform, you will work closely with the engineering team to fabricate, assemble, test, and develop hardware, build-out and maintain critical infrastructure systems (air, water, and inert gasses), and ensure that all onsite fabrication and/or R&D areas are outfitted with the required tools/equipment, remain clean/organized, and are being used safely. You will have an opportunity to use a variety of machines and tools including lathes, mills, bandsaws, grinders, precision drills, and water jets. The right candidate for this role will be team-oriented and have a positive attitude with a “no job too big or small” mentality. If you enjoy hands-on work in a fast-paced development environment and are excited about creating cutting edge technology, we'd love to hear from you!
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative individuals who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Act as the go-to resource for the engineering team in building critical hardware for advanced 3D printing machines
- Use a variety of manufacturing tools including drills, grinders, torque wrenches, micrometers, calipers, lathes and mills
- Read and interpret technical drawings and follow detailed work instructions
- Perform planned maintenance and unplanned repairs on equipment including air compressors, water chillers, inert gas systems and general machine/fabrication shop equipment
- Read and utilize schematics (mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic) to troubleshoot systems down to the component level
- Complete 6S responsibilities (sort, set in order, shine, standardize, sustain, safety)
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent educational certification
- 2+ years of experience in manufacturing or production
- Experience interpreting schematics and/or blueprints
Nice to Have:
- Skilled with manual machining, welding, cutting, fitting and/or bending of stainless steels, aluminums and high-strength nickel alloys
- Formal hardware-centric technical training/certification (A&P license, NTMA license)
- Ability to utilize power tools, hand tools, cranes, forklifts and other heavy equipment
- Use of precision measuring instruments
- Experience setting up and maintaining facility systems with a focus on air, water and cryogenic inert gas systems
- Electrical component assembly experience including fabrication of harnessing/connectors and basic soldering skills
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50lbs unassisted
- Ability to climb ladders and be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Must be available and willing to work overtime when needed
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated pay range for this role is $20-$45/hour, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.