Senior FPGA Engineer
SENIOR FPGA ENGINEER
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a Senior FPGA Engineer at Freeform, you will be responsible for architecting, designing, developing, and integrating critical software and hardware systems (leveraging the Xilinx Zynq Ultrascale MP SoC) to create a custom compute platform that enables the first production scale, fully automated metal 3D printing factory architecture. As a crucial member of the engineering team, you will be responsible for driving the pace of innovation, maximizing development speed, and maintaining a standard of excellence within the entire engineering team.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Developing new logic components for use on FPGAs
- Implementing custom algorithms on FPGAs for signal processing
- Implementing custom controllers on FPGAs
- Working with other software engineers to develop embedded Linux applications to interface with FPGA logic components
- Packaging and using IP components in FPGA block diagram design
- Working both on development boards and in a production environment
- 5+ years of FPGA development experience
- Proficient in VHDL or Verilog
- Familiarity with Xilinx Vivado/Vitis toolchain development environment
Nice to Have:
- Bachelor's or Master's in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or related field
- Experience with Xilinx Zynq Ultrascale MP SoC
- Experience with embedded software development including embedded Linux and System on Chip (SoC)-based architectures
- Experience with heterogeneous computing platforms and high-speed data acquisition systems
- Familiarity with C/C++ or other high-level programming languages
- Experience working in both Windows and Linux operating systems
- Familiarity with LabVIEW is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $140,000-$250,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.