Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Virgin Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As an R&D Machinist, you work directly with engineering to develop in-house machining and fabrication capabilities including conventional mills and lathes, bandsaws, grinders, riveting, drilling, welding torches, and other various hardware development tools. You will be responsible for determining the best way to fabricate parts and for solving new hardware development challenges on the fly without detailed work instructions. If you enjoy hands-on work in a fast-paced R&D environment and are excited about growing/building a team then we would love to hear from you!
- Build parts using manual mill and lathe machines (Bridgeport and Mori Seiki)
- Operate bandsaws, grinders, drills, and power tools to fabricate hardware
- Contribute to basic welding development efforts (MIG and/or TIG)
- Complete hardware development from both detailed drawings as well as high level R&D plans
- Deburr and wash/clean parts coming from machine
- Manually inspect parts using tools such as micrometers, thread gauges, and indicators
- Take part in process improvement projects and help in constantly improving processes and the shop
- 3+ years of experience in machining and fabrication
- Experience working in an R&D or custom job shop environment
- Experience reading blueprints, part drawings, and schematics
Nice to Have:
- 10+ years of experience
- NTMA machinist certification
- CNC programming experience
- Skilled with manual machining, welding, cutting, fitting and/or bending of stainless steels, aluminums, and high-strength nickel alloys
- Ability to utilize power tools, hand tools, cranes, forklifts, and other heavy equipment
- Experience with precision measuring instruments
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50lbs unassisted
- Ability to climb ladders and be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Must be available and willing to work overtime when needed
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated pay range for this role is $20-$45/hour, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.