Senior Software Engineer (3D)
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (3D)
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As a 3D software engineer at Freeform, you will be responsible for architecting, developing, and implementing a robust pre-print pipeline, which takes a customer CAD file and generates precise printing instructions for our machines efficiently and autonomously. This involves integrating our proprietary simulation pipeline into the pre-print software, integrating 3D point cloud data into our data-driven simulation pipeline, generating/tracking pre-deformed geometries for parts in the pipeline, orienting parts, packing build plates, generating supports, slicing parts, generating toolpaths, as well as assigning lasers and process parameters. The ideal candidate should demonstrate the ability to architect and implement robust production software solutions, as well as demonstrate literacy in 3D geometry, graphics, or visual effects (or similar discipline).
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Design and develop the print preparation software pipeline for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system, including automating CAD import, geometry processing, slicing, and toolpath planning.
- Work with back-end software developers to architect the software interface to the metal 3D printing hardware layer.
- Develop software required to implement production automation solutions in the front-end geometry processing pipeline.
- Develop software to implement algorithms for geometry deformation, procedural geometry generation, and space-filling operations.
- Work with computational geometry engineers and simulations engineers to integrate physics-based and data-driven models into the software simulation pipeline.
- Integrate 2D and 3D meshing techniques into the physical simulation software pipeline.
- Develop, unit test, and deploy functional, scalable, robust, and maintainable software.
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development using C++, Rust, Java, Python, or similar.
- 1+ years of experience developing software for geometry processing such as but not limited to visual effects, animation, video games, or graphics industries.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's, Master's or PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, or related field highly preferred.
- Experience interfacing with CAD and CAM software APIs.
- Experience with 2D and 3D meshing techniques.
- Knowledge of MATLAB.
- Experience with cloud computing.
- Experience with optimization techniques.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As an early-stage startup, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $90,000-$250,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?