Head of Legal
Who We Are
The mission of Gecko Robotics is to protect today’s critical infrastructure, and give form to tomorrow’s: refineries, power plants, heavy manufacturing facilities, vessels, water storage, and many more. We accomplish this through our robotics platforms in tandem with our enterprise software solutions, creating a virtuous cycle of data acquisition, processing, analysis, and decision-making. Our robots operate in some of the most dangerous industrial environments, collecting data of unprecedented value and magnifying the contributions of human experts, while keeping them out of harm’s way. Gecko is uniquely poised to maximize both the production and the useful life of the assets we rely on to meet the world's energy needs.
Role at a Glance
We’re looking for a business-minded attorney, ideally with experience in the tech industry, who will act as a utility player for a high-growth technology company. As the Head of Legal, you’ll be the first in-house Legal hire for Gecko Robotics, and will work closely with other internal business teams and leadership across the company. You’ll supervise our Contracts and Procurement Analyst, manage our use of external counsel, and partner with Gecko leadership to build a robust legal function.
The ideal candidate excels at identifying risk, problem solving, and partnering with the business to make decisions amidst ambiguity. This role is perfect for a fast-moving attorney who can work within a team and who has had substantive exposure to a broad range of transactional and corporate matters.
What you will do
- Provide legal counsel and guidance to our executive leadership team on a wide range of legal issues, including business contracts, data security, IP, corporate governance, tax matters, international expansion, and employment and equity law
- Negotiate, draft, and review contracts on behalf of Gecko, with the support of our Contracts and Procurement Analyst
- Anticipate and proactively identify potential legal issues or risk; partner with Gecko leadership and internal teams to develop legal strategies and solutions
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies
- Draft, review, and approve policies and procedures, regulations, bylaws, and other legal documents
- Provide thoughtful counsel to support our expansion to new markets, including advising on risk mitigation, identifying compliance requirements, and creating processes and workflows
- Advise technical and corporate leadership on issues related to intellectual property, data protection and ownership, security, and other relevant areas as needed
- Assist in M&A and financing transactions as they come up, including negotiating confidentiality, transition services, and other agreements, managing due diligence, and assisting in all areas of deal planning and execution
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience, ideally a combination of law-firm and in-house or start-up experience
- Exposure to, and ideally expertise in, in a wide array of legal areas, including corporate governance, financing, data security and IP, equity, employment law, and compliance
- Strong negotiator who operates well in ambiguous and fast paced environments
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build strong relationships cross-functionally, including with business, finance, and technical stakeholders
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and operate under pressure
- Willingness to wear multiple hats with shifting priorities and work on projects of all types
- Thrives in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Member of New York, Pennsylvania or other U.S. state bar
- Ability to travel to 10-25% of the time to other Gecko offices as needed
NYC Pay Transparency Disclosure:
Salary Range: $180,000 to $350,000 annually plus equity and perks.
This salary range is based on the current available market data, and represents the expected salary range for this role. Gecko Robotics has minimal hierarchy and few titles, but has broad ranges of experience represented within roles. Should you have compensation expectations that exceed these bands, we'd love to hear from you and would welcome you to reach out to further discuss.
Gecko Robotics is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Something looks off?