Electrical Engineer - Internship
What We Do
Gecko Robotics is helping the world’s most important organizations ensure the availability, reliability, and sustainability of critical infrastructure. Gecko's complete and connected solutions combine wall-climbing robots, industry-leading sensors, and an AI-powered data platform to provide customers with a unique window into the current and future health of their physical assets. This enables real-time decision making to increase the efficiency and safety of operations, promote mission readiness, and protect the environment and civilization from the effects of infrastructure failure.
Gecko Robotics is currently hiring interns for Summer 2024. Applications for other terms will not be considered at this time.
A minimum commitment of 12 weeks is required for this position.
Role At a Glance
In this Electrical Engineering Internship you will be working on the wall-climbing robots and industry leading sensors that form the core of Geckos mission. You will be designing, developing, integrating, and testing the electronics systems (hardware/PCBAs) and the embedded software (bootloader, firmware, drivers, etc) for both the inspection robots and the supporting systems (power module, water module, networking, etc).
Gecko is hiring several Electrical Engineering interns over a range of projects all based out of our Pittsburgh, PA headquarters. Based on your experience and interests, you will be working in one of the following specialized areas:
- Electrical Engineer - developing custom hardware with digital and analog circuits.
- Embedded Software Engineer - developing embedded SW to interface, integrate, and control the electrical systems.
- Electrical Integration Engineer - working across the system to ensure all of the electronic systems (HW and SW) work properly together.
Gecko’s engineers are project and mission driven and as part of the team supporting deployment of our systems in the field, you will be working on a project that is expected to make a direct difference to our operational effectiveness. A substantial part of the experience will be spent in our 10,000 sq ft lab space which is equipped with everything you need to develop, build and test these projects. You will be paired with a strong mentor who will ensure you are building solutions that work in as close to real world conditions as possible. This isn't a sideline experience; you'll work alongside our current full-time engineers on meaningful tasks, contributing to the development of impactful products. Gecko is committed to offering opportunities that inspire individuals who are self-motivated, thrive in a small company environment, and passionate about creating phenomenal products that address significant problems.
What You Will Do
- Design, prototype, test, and troubleshoot electrical components and modules (which could include sensor interfaces, communications, controls, firmware integration, and power electronics) for Gecko’s current and future robots and tools.
- Collaborate and integrate with mechanical engineers, firmware engineers, and other teams to design, verify, and validate hardware products from prototype to production.
- Help investigate new technologies under evaluation for new robot features and capabilities.
- Prepare documentation associated with design, analysis, investigations, and test results.
- Embedded SW Engineer will also write embedded C code for microcontrollers, support our on-robot operating system and partner with other teams such as Localization and the Robotic Inspection team to ensure end to end product excellence.
Required Education and Experience
- Working towards a B.S., M.S., M.S.E., or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science,, or relevant technical field.
- Experience with rapid prototyping.
- Experience working with electrical tools: oscilloscope, logic analyzers, variable loads, etc.
- Detail-oriented personality with solid documentation and reporting skills.
Electrical Engineering focus:
- Exposure to digital, analog, high-speed, and power electronics design.
- Experience in design, implementation, bring up, and debugging of electronic systems.
- Familiarity with integrating processors, sensors, smart switches, interfaces, and other electrical components.
- Knowledge of electrical CAD software (Altium preferred).
Embedded SW Engineering focus:
- Firmware development experience in embedded C (STM preferred).
- Software development experience in Python or C++.
- Familiarity with Linux and Bash scripting.
Electrical Integration Engineer focus:
- Integration and debugging of multi-board and multi-processor systems.
- Experience working cross-functionally with Electrical Engineering (HW) and Embedded SW Engineering (SW) designing, bringing up, and testing systems.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience with robotics and controls.
- Experience in product lifecycle development tools and standards.
- Experience with Git, Jira, and Confluence or similar tools.
Who We Are
At Gecko, our people are our greatest investment. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer company equity, 401(k) matching, gender-neutral parental leave, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health and wellness support, ongoing professional development, family planning assistance, and flexible paid time off.
We believe that we do our best work when we’re together in person, and we’re committed to creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and partnership. We ask our employees to be in the office 3 to 5 days per week, depending on the location and role. Our in-office benefits vary by location, but include catered lunch or lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchens, frequent employee events, and more.
Gecko is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe it is our collective responsibility to uphold these values and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our mission to protect today’s infrastructure and give form to tomorrow’s. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law. If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your talents to support our critical mission, we’d love to hear from you.