Robotics - Localization Engineer - Internship
What We Do
Gecko Robotics is helping the world’s most important organizations ensure the availability, reliability, and sustainability of critical infrastructure. Gecko's complete and connected solutions combine wall-climbing robots, industry-leading sensors, and an AI-powered data platform to provide customers with a unique window into the current and future health of their physical assets. This enables real-time decision making to increase the efficiency and safety of operations, promote mission readiness, and protect the environment and civilization from the effects of infrastructure failure.
Gecko Robotics is currently hiring interns for Summer 2024. Applications for other terms will not be considered at this time.
A minimum commitment of 12 weeks is required for this position.
Role at a Glance
In this role, you will be at the forefront of delivering localization systems for robots in challenging inspection environments. You will work to deploy real time localization systems in challenging field environments that may be GPS denied, dynamic, and perceptually aliased. Your work will enable Gecko’s delivery of high quality data analysis and reports on damage that will be used to mitigate incidents impacting the environment and human lives.
Gecko’s engineers are project and mission driven and as part of the team supporting deployment of our systems in the field, you will be working on a project that is expected to make a direct difference to our operational effectiveness. You will be paired with a strong mentor and have full access to our 10,000 sq foot engineering lab to test your work in as close to real world conditions as possible. This isn't a sideline experience; you'll work alongside our current full-time engineers on meaningful tasks, contributing to the development of impactful products. Gecko is committed to offering opportunities that inspire individuals who are self-motivated, thrive in a small company environment, and passionate about creating phenomenal products that address significant problems.
What You Will Do
- Design and implement real-time localization systems for inspection robots.
- Develop SLAM systems that fuse together data from multiple robots and robotics platforms to yield high fidelity views of assets.
- Define metrics for localization quality in the field.
- Assist in sensor selection for localization and the fleet of Gecko robots continues to grow.
- Work broadly across teams to facilitate integration of localization sensors on robots and develop offline pipelines that improve the quality of localization.
Required Education and Experience
- Progressing toward Master’s or PhD in computer science, Robotics Engineering, or related technical field.
- Experience in both C++ and python.
- Experience with sensor fusion.
- Experience with localization in lab environments
- Knowledge of Git, Jira, and Confluence or similar tools.
- Familiarity with DevOps or CI/CD – GitHub automation and docker or Jenkins.
- Experience with Linux and command-line tools.
- Experience with libraries such as OpenCV, PCL, ROS, Boost, Eigen.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 2+ years of experience in C++ and python.
- Experience with 6DoF state estimation.
- Experience with localization in production environments
Who We Are
At Gecko, our people are our greatest investment. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer company equity, 401(k) matching, gender-neutral parental leave, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health and wellness support, ongoing professional development, family planning assistance, and flexible paid time off.
We believe that we do our best work when we’re together in person, and we’re committed to creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and partnership. We ask our employees to be in the office 3 to 5 days per week, depending on the location and role. Our in-office benefits vary by location, but include catered lunch or lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchens, frequent employee events, and more.
Gecko is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe it is our collective responsibility to uphold these values and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our mission to protect today’s infrastructure and give form to tomorrow’s. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law. If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your talents to support our critical mission, we’d love to hear from you.