Principal Product Designer
We’re looking for passionate and empathetic Product Designers to help us create software that empower individuals to do more (And to make them smile). You’ll take ownership of creating experiences that are simple and filled with delight. You’ll be at the center of changing the perception of thousands of users who believe computers simply add stress instead of alleviating it. You’re the right fit if you obsess over the details and get excited about the opportunity to bring cutting edge software and ui-interactions to an age-old industry.
What you'll do
- Design products - from systems to interactions to pixels that are simple and delightful.
- Craft product design requirements, specs and briefs; you'll work with and manage feedback from multiple teams.
- Clearly translate user research into well defined user problems.
- Partner with product management and engineering to design impactful metrics to measure the success of your designs
- Work with product management and marketing to find creative ways to tell the story of your product features to customers.
- Work with design and engineering to evolve our UI design system to meet the growing complexity of our product. You are able to work within and expand the Joy style.
- Craft and conduct independent user research, testing and feedback to better inform design decisions.
- Champion a high-level of visual craftsmanship in the product through systematic testing and evaluation of engineering deliverables.
- Mentor team members across the company advocating and the design thinking process.
What you’ll need
- Demonstrates strong systems thinking ability. Go beyond single screens to entire workflows with multiple touch points while maintaining the principles and direction of the entire platform.
- Solid understanding of layout, typography, color, and other graphic design principles
- Passionate about design but doesn’t shy away from wearing many hats.
- Understands that great experiences are not crafted in a silo, but is a coordinated team effort across product, engineering and marketing.
- Loves collaboration, giving and receiving feedback, communicates clearly, listens and empathizes with multiple points of view.
- Ability to articulate design decisions and what problems are being solved.
- Quickly iterate based off of qualitative and quantitative insights
- A track record of shipping real product, and an ability to talk about lessons learned along the way. You’ve weathered release cycles and know what details matter at each stage, how to motivate engineers to get the interactions right, how to translate insights from user studies into meaningful action, and what’s most likely to go afoul at each stage.
- Wants to join an early stage startup and is excited about going from 15 employees to 500.
- Thrives in the uncomfortable and unknown.
- Scrappy and resourceful.
- 6 or more years working professionally as part of a design team.
- Wants play a central role in influencing, crafting and building what design means at Joy.
- This position is eligible for remote work.
- Strong visual design foundation.
- Experience with Framer or Origami prototyping tools.
- Code or build interactive prototypes.
- Experience with marketplaces such as Airbnb or ecommerce systems like Shopify.
This position is eligible for remote work.
At Joy we believe there is always room for making things more joyful. And we’re doing it for events. We are designing a better way to help hosts, planners, goers and doers find and enable new workflows and behaviors between everyone involved in the complex task of event planning.
It is BIG task and we are a small team, which means you will be key player and will have a lot of fun dabbling in all aspects of building a great product and a great company. We’re a Y Combinator and VC funded startup tackling the 100B+ event industry. We welcome people from all backgrounds, millions of people are using our software around the world and we’re just getting started.
Work @ Joy
Fast paced, Challenging, Fun.
The work environment is very dynamic. We iterate often and fast. We talk to our customers. We dig deeper into what is it that they really need. We encourage wearing as many hats as you want. We value humility and honesty over being right every time. We believe ideas win, not people.
Design @ Joy
At our core we believe that design is the product. It’s what people remember. It’s what people feel. It’s what makes our customers fall in love over and over again. It’s the little things, the intangibles and it’s a part of everything we do. We believe design is not just how the product looks and feels but what it does. We prefer simple over complicated. Humans over robots.
We’re looking for all kinds of people
To build a service that’s brings joy to people all around the world, we need a team with all kinds of different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds.
We want to have the best people in every job. Joy policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.