Senior Spacecraft Systems Engineer
Golden, CO, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 2, 2022
Wanna join the adventure?
Loft Orbital builds a space infrastructure providing a fast & simple path to orbit. Using different flight proven buses, we design, integrate and operate spacecrafts, to fly physical or virtual customers payloads. We handle entire missions from end to end, significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
As a Senior Spacecraft Systems Engineer at Loft, you will work as lead engineer for one or several satellite missions simultaneously, each one flying a single/multi-payload configuration. You will be the technical reference for these missions, working closely with mission manager and all the Loft teams: products development teams, flight and ground software, AIT and operations.
Using flight proven satellite buses and Loft designed payload hub infrastructure, you will lead the development activities of the missions you are in charge of.
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About this role:
- Work with customers to develop and manage system requirements and verification techniques, and flowdown to software or hardware teams.
- Develop, in collaboration with team members, interface specifications and derive overall satellite architecture and design.
- Work with product and sub-systems engineers, to develop and maintain technical budgets for spacecraft performance.
- Work with flight operations to develop mission CONOPS, supporting the development of Service Level Agreements with Loft's customers
- Assist with program management and product management, including interfacing with customers on programmatic and schedule matters
- Support test procedures, and participate in the integration, test campaign, launch and in-orbit commissioning
- You have 5 to 10 years demonstrated experience as a spacecraft systems engineer, or equivalent experience in at least two different subsystems (ADCS, Mechanical, Thermal, Power, Avionics, …)
- You have strong communication and organizational skills
- You challenge norms in aerospace engineering and testing activities and or experienced in fast-paced development environment
- You have experience in small satellite assembly, integration and test campaigns, and/or in spacecraft delivery to orbit
- You handle pressure positively and are always ready to put hands-on
Nice to Haves:
- Experience in Electrical sub-systems
- Proficient with STK
- Knowledge of Python
- International experience
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance option for employees and dependents
- Flexible Time Off policy for vacation and sick
- 401(k) plan and equity options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- International exposure to our team in France
- Fully paid parental leave; 14 weeks for birthing parents and 10 weeks for non-birthing parents
- Carrot Fertility provides comprehensive, inclusive fertility healthcare and family-forming
- benefits with financial support
- Off-sites and many social events and celebrations
- Relocation assistance when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.
See more open positions at Loft Orbital
Something looks off?