Embedded Application Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2022
Hello Software Developer 👋
At Loft Orbital, we have just successfully launched our first two satellites that we fly and operate ourselves.
We are now actively looking for embedded developers to join and help us build the technology to drive success of our future missions. 🛰️ 🛰️ 🛰️
We are looking for Embedded Application Engineers to work in our San Francisco (California) and Golden (Colorado) offices.
As an Embedded Application Engineer, you will help develop software to run on our satellites that interface directly with customer payloads. We are looking for engineers able to apprehend complex and rich systems, spanning over various nodes running embedded Linux. Our culture at Loft Orbital promotes collaboration and ownership or our developers, fostering efforts hand to hand with other teams, internally and externally.
Wanna join the adventure?
We're developing the platform that enables our customers to develop software onboard satellites.
We need individuals who: have experienced projects done at scale; designed and architected distributed systems; guide, mentor and lead team members.
Our Software Integration team has talented individual contributors both in the US and in Europe from a variety of backgrounds.
You will have the opportunity to work together with customers and internal stakeholders (Mission Leads, Satellite Operators, Ground Software, etc.) to iterate on new features, solve common goals, and ship space missions!
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About This Role:
- Develop software applications to run on our satellites that interface directly with customer payloads over a distributed system running embedded Linux.
- Provide technical assistance in troubleshooting satellite issues.
- Participate in operation of satellites.
- Building applications with C/C++ on distributed embedded Linux systems
- Following test driven development practices
- Capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about technical problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Taste for large exposure across internal and external teams
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with communication protocols, high-level (gRPC) and low-level (custom implementation of bit packed protocols)
- A solid understanding of distributed systems and service oriented architectures
- Working understanding of Docker or other containerization services
- Proficiency with Python
Some of our awesome benefits:
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance option for employees and dependents
- Flexible Time Off policy for vacation and sick
- 401(k) plan and equity options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- International exposure to our team in France
- Fully paid parental leave; 14 weeks for birthing parents and 10 weeks for non-birthing parents
- Carrot Fertility provides comprehensive, inclusive fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits with financial support
- Off-sites and many social events and celebrations
- Relocation assistance when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.
See more open positions at Loft Orbital
Something looks off?