Flight Products Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2023
Wanna join the adventure?
Loft Orbital builds space infrastructure based on “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites using different buses, fly various customer payloads , and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
The Flight Products System Engineer works in the Flight Products team which is responsible for designing the Hub core components that allow Loft Orbital to connect our internal and customer payloads to the satellite bus and to the ground system developed by Loft. Our scope of work covers mechanical, electrical, embedded systems and core software topics. The depth goes from externally source to fully vertically integrated in-house development and validation.
As a Flight Products System Engineer, you will lead the specification definition for our Hub system from a mechanical, electrical and software point of view: interfaces, architecture and key features. You will lead the definition of our and support the definition of the associated test benches verification plan. You will work very closely with our Bus System Engineer and with our Satellite System Engineers. You will also work very closely with our technical experts in each domain.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About This Role:
- Create embedded system architecture: Define and own the satellite hub architecture including power, data, compute and control
- Create and maintain Hub User Manual and Hub electrical, mechanical and software interfaces (ICDs) with our buses and the customer payloads.
- Lead and coordinate requirements and traceability, future proofing, CONOPs, ICDs, trade studies, risk, and design reviews
- Create system test plans to ensure the validation of the Hub system
- Electrical engineering background, space based is a plus but not required
- Demonstrated technical depth in at least one engineering discipline
- Have experience with the intersection of hardware and software
- Launched a product to market that has both a hardware and software aspect (ex: embedded ECU in a satellite, a plane or a vehicle)
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Willing to travel in the US (we have two offices in the US: San Francisco,CA and Golden, CO) and France for a week at least once per quarter
Nice to Haves:
- Automotive background or Space background
- First principles approach, able to find solutions outside of the norm
- Familiarity with fault tree and single-point-failure analyses
- Knowledge of C, C++, Python, Linux
- Experience scaling from prototype to mass production
- Familiarity with ISO-26262, DO-178C, DO-160, ARP-4754, ARP-4761
- International experience
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance option for employees and dependents
- Flexible Time Off policy for vacation and sick
- 401(k) plan and equity options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- International exposure to our team in France
- Fully paid parental leave; 14 weeks for birthing parents and 10 weeks for non-birthing parents
- Carrot Fertility provides comprehensive, inclusive fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits with financial support
- Off-sites and many social events and celebrations
- Relocation assistance when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.
See more open positions at Loft Orbital
Something looks off?