Senior Embedded Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2023
Wanna join the adventure?
In this role, you will assume a pivotal position in spearheading the advancement of Loft's internally developed space vehicle subsystems. Your primary responsibility will be to drive the development of crucial components, encompassing data processing, payload interface and control, power conditioning and distribution, as well as navigation and positioning systems. This pivotal role will require you to take end-to-end ownership of innovative product development, working in close collaboration with a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team dedicated to making space simple.
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
- Deep understanding of embedded systems, including microcontrollers, microprocessors, FPGAs, and various hardware components.
- Experience in system-level design and architecture for embedded systems, considering factors like fault tolerance, redundancy, and system reliability.
- Adept at testing, verification, and validation of embedded systems to ensure they meet industry standards and requirements.
- Skilled in troubleshooting and problem-solving, often in real-time.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills across multi-discipline teams.
- Several years of experience in progressively responsible roles, demonstrating a track record of success in developing and delivering embedded systems.
Nice to haves:
- Understanding of programming languages like C, C++, and Assembly.
- A strong grasp of the unique challenges posed by the space environment, such as extreme temperatures, radiation, vacuum, and limited power sources.
- Ability to write efficient, low-level code and have experience with real-time operating systems (RTOS) commonly used in space applications.
- Experience with typical space industry standards and regulations (e.g., ECSS, NASA standards).
- Adaptability to the dynamic space industry with evolving technologies and mission requirements as they arise.
- Experience with cybersecurity principles, especially in space missions that involve sensitive data and communication.
- Project management skills to lead teams or projects effectively, ensuring that work is completed on time and within budget.
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- Comprehensive dental, medical and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan and equity
- Daily catered lunches
- Cross office travel opportunities between San Francisco, Colorado, and Toulouse, France
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Off-sites and many happy hours
- Foreign language classes
- We offer relocation assistance when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.