Design Leader (Manager/Director)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
Osmind is the premier platform for clinicians and researchers advancing new life-saving mental health treatments. Today, mental health disorders are one of the leading causes of death worldwide, especially among young adults, and are tied to shortening lifespans. While there have been developments in new psychiatric medications since the first FDA approval in 1954, today there is a growing movement among clinicians, patients, and researchers who are recognizing the need to accelerate new science.
The Osmind treatment platform is the first and only solution that solves specific challenges faced by neuropsychiatric clinics, spanning general psychiatry and interventional psychiatry (transcranial magnetic stimulation, ketamine, SPRAVATO®, psychedelic medicine, electroconvulsive therapy). The core electronic health record (EHR) technology is precisely developed for interventional treatment workflows and designed to support a strong therapeutic alliance, including journaling tools and assistance with health plan reimbursement, which is a significant access hurdle for millions of patients.
Research from our platform is already helping to set new standards for mental health interventions. For example, in the largest published real-world analysis of ketamine infusion therapy for depression, we teamed up with Stanford University School of Medicine to share findings in the Journal of Affective Disorders (March 2022). We have multiple ongoing research studies leveraging our proprietary real-world data, including an even larger ketamine analysis leveraging machine learning to predict treatment outcomes.
Osmind is a San Francisco–based public benefit corporation led by scientists, technologists, and psychiatrists. We are backed by top investors including DFJ Growth, General Catalyst, Future Ventures, Tiger Global, and Y Combinator.
We are a series B funded Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) building something to move the needle on the global mental health crisis. (See here for an article our cofounder Jimmy wrote about PBC’s.)
Join our dynamic team as our Design Leader (Manager/Director), where you'll play a leading role in shaping the future of the Osmind. In this role, you'll apply your expertise in user-centered design to create compelling and functional designs, balancing leadership responsibilities with hands-on design work. With a focus on maintaining a strong design ethos and contributing significantly to design discussions and decisions, you'll lead the way in creating innovative solutions that resonate with our users.
This is a hybrid role based in San Francisco.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and mentor a team of 2-3 designers, providing guidance and feedback to foster their professional growth and ensure high-quality design outputs.
- Spend approximately 50% of your time on hands-on design work, focusing on the details and charting a strategic path forward for the design of Osmind products.
- Develop and maintain low to high-fidelity product design deliverables, interaction design specs, and interactive prototypes for web and mobile, guiding your team in these endeavors.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand user needs and design solutions that address these needs, while maintaining a leadership role in design discussions and decision-making processes.
- Guide the evolution of the design system, ensuring consistency and innovation in our product designs, and empowering your team to contribute actively.
- Conduct and apply user research and testing to validate and refine design concepts, involving your team in these processes for learning and development.
- Champion a culture of experimentation, evaluation, and continuous learning in the design process, encouraging your team to push boundaries and innovate.
- Proven experience (7+ years) in Product Design, with a portfolio demonstrating expertise in interaction and visual design, prototyping, and ideation.
- Experience with leadership in product design, with a focus on both leading and executing design projects. At least 1+ years of formal management experience.
- Strong systems thinking ability, with a knack for simplifying complex problems into engaging solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, able to present design concepts clearly and effectively. Ability to conduct strong product user research sessions.
- Experience working with product managers and cross-functional teams, including working with internal and customer leaders directly.
- Strong proficiency in design tools, including Figma.
- Experience building design systems, in particular, past experience working with engineering on component libraries.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, including early-stage startup experience.
- Based in the San Francisco Bay Area with in-person days at our San Francisco Mission District office 2-3 days per week. Relocation packages may be considered for exceptional talent on a case-by-case basis.
Nice to Haves:
- Background or interest in healthcare technology is a plus.
About Us & More:
- The tl;dr: we're a tight-knit group of intellectually rigorous, highly collaborative, deeply caring, and fun team members. We take the work that we do very seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. Sometimes you’ll catch us singing karaoke, making memes, or going out for a run together.
- Our co founders, Lucia and Jimmy, made it to the Forbes 30 under 30 list
- We were ranked as one of CB Insights top digital health companies of 2021
Some candidates may see the list above and feel discouraged because they don't match all the items. Please apply anyway: there's a good chance you also have important skills we’ve missed! We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, underrepresented people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Osmind is a public benefit corporation and platform for clinicians and researchers advancing new life-saving mental health treatments. We recently published our first Public Benefit Report that chronicles how our team of scientists, technologists, and psychiatrists have been working to help solve the worldwide mental health crisis, advance responsible innovation and research, and help ensure robust access to care for patients of all backgrounds. Read the report here: https://www.osmind.org/pbc.