Additive Manufacturing Engineer
A thriving economy in space is needed to make life on Earth more vibrant, sustainable, and equitable. Space technology will enable global access to information, solutions to climate change, answers to global food security, products that transform healthcare, clean energy production, and more. Today, rocket launch options are slow, expensive, and unreliable. Stoke is building the world’s most efficient fully and rapidly reusable rocket designed to fly daily that will radically increase access to space and open up the space economy to safeguard our precious home, Earth.
Fully reusable launch vehicles are the key to seamlessly connecting Earth and space. We are seeking a full-time Additive Manufacturing (AM) Engineer to join our dynamic team. This role is a blend of application engineering and process engineering tasks centered around metallic additive manufacturing technologies. With an engineering degree or equivalent work experience and technical knowledge, the successful candidate will be instrumental in advancing our in-house production capabilities, ensuring the manufacturability of complex aerospace components, and contributing to our mission. You will work closely with the rest of the design, manufacturing, and operations teams through all phases of the product lifecycle. You must be ready to stay focused, move fast, self-direct, and learn on the fly.
- Take extreme ownership for development and deployment of metallic AM hardware fabricated with Velo3D Sapphire XC equipment, encompassing both aspects of application and process engineering. This role is that of an additive manufacturing expert with practical execution skills and extensive technical knowledge. Directly responsible for delivering hardware and executing on milestones.
- Exhibit an extreme ownership mentality; the candidate will be comfortable delivering results in the face of adversity. When necessary, take action to find creative solutions such as designing tooling and fixtures, collaborating closely with external vendors for services, and ordering parts outside of their normal scope.
- Embrace a fast-paced startup environment, staying focused, self-directed, and eager to learn and adapt on the fly.
AM Process Engineering scope includes:
- Hands-on machine operation skills, including on-the-spot job pause recovery for a high-value builds.
- Knowledge and responsibility for mechanical systems necessary to support AM operations including gas and fluid plumbing, shop floor equipment.
- Ability to plan for and engage in support removal, de-powdering, and thermal post-processing.
- Provide input and review for component qualification plans, knowledge of materials testing and AM material performance.
- Ability to interface with quality requirements including NDT and dimensional inspection.
- Digital work order creation and value stream ownership.
AM Application Engineering scope includes:
- Ownership of the part digital custody chain between CAD model and printed hardware.
- Enhance communications as a liaison between design engineering and manufacturing, providing input to optimize feasibility, cost-effectiveness, and execution rate.
- Engage in CAD design for additive manufacturing, creating, and modifying designs to leverage AM for high performance and cost-effective hardware.
- Generate machine program files using Velo3D Flow software.
- Interpret and define GD&T drawing requirements to deliver quality AM hardware.
- Work with high intensity, maintain status tracking, and project execution ownership in an ambitious environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering, or similar
- 3+ years of experience in metal additive manufacturing. 5+ years of experience for OTJ equivalent in relevant AM roles.
- Strong background in design-for-manufacturing and hands-on machine operation.
- Able to work as an extreme part owner covering application and process engineering needs.
- Extensive experience with CAD tools and configuration management (Siemens NX and Teamcenter preferred).
- Highly organized with the ability to work flexible hours, including second shift and weekends, as needed.
- Proficient in interpreting GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) and general aerospace quality requirements.
- Knowledge of general fabrication methods including CNC milling, turning, EDM, welding, bending, etc.
- Ability to lead
- Ability to follow
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Willing to relocate to Seattle, WA
- Medical, dental, vision and basic life insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible scheduling
- Level 2 Range: $96,700 - $145100
- Level 3 Range: $120,900 - $181,300
Our job posts are intentionally written to attract a wide variety of experience levels, and we make decisions about the right fit on a per-candidate basis.
Your actual level and base salary will be decided based on your specific experience and skill level.
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including with respect to disability and veteran status. It is committed to compliance with all equal opportunity laws, including the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and Title VII. It does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, citizenship, immigration status, or any other protected class when it comes to employment practices, including hiring.
Employment at the Company is contingent upon satisfactory completion of reference and background checks, and on your ability to prove your identity and authorization to work in the U.S. for the Company. Employees must comply with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services employment verification requirements, and, therefore, they must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 at the start of employment and re-verify authorization to work periodically.
Separate from this I-9 process, this position entails access to certain technology and technical data that is restricted under U.S. export control laws and regulations. Employment or continued employment may be conditioned on your legal authorization to work with or have access to export control materials as necessary to perform your job.