Firmware Engineer / Embedded Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Wispr is building a more natural way to interact with technology with neural interfaces. We're building a team of world-class scientists, engineers, and product designers to make that a reality.
So far, we've raised 14.6M from top-tier VCs like NEA and 8VC. Our angels and advisors include Chester Chipperfield (product lead for the first Apple Watch), Ben Jones (COO, CTRL-Labs), Dave Gilboa (CEO, Warby Parker), and Jose Carmena (Berkeley professor; co-CEO iota). Our founders are Stanford alums and have previously sold a company and run a team at a deep tech startup with over 100M in funding.
We're hiring in SF Bay Area / Remote.
As a firmware engineer at Wispr, your primary responsibilities will be to work closely with the EE, research, and product teams to architect a new class of devices. You will lead firmware and embedded system development across high-throughput signal acquisition, wireless communication, and optimizing the system to work in an all-day wearable device.
Come join us and make magic happen.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Architect and implement custom board support packages, along with other useful firmware utilities and tools
- Interface with external computing over USB, BLE, and others communication channels
- Collaborate with neuroscientists to improve digital pre-processing, feature extraction, and de-noising
- Design wireless communication over BLE and interfacing with mobile applications
- Design low-powered systems, including low-powered modes, event-based computing, and context-aware state machines
- Implement company procedures toward well-documented and scalable firmware and testing
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, And Experience
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related quantitative field
- 2+ years in firmware development with C/C++ and managing source code with Git
- Experience with communication protocols using Bluetooth LE
- Experience with bring-up and electrical validation of new hardware and testing requirements.
- Experience interfacing with consumer electronic hardware
- Experience with ARM-based microcontrollers, common communication peripherals (SPI, etc.), hardware abstractions, etc
- Experience with battery management, memory management
Nice to have Knowledge/Skills, Education, And Experience
- MS or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Bioengineering, Computer Science, or related quantitative field
- Experience working with audio systems and compression
- Prior experience with Qualcomm SOCs
- Experience in sensor fusion (analysis techniques, de-noising setups, using multiple data acquisition systems)
- Experience with interfacing embedded systems with mobile & desktop applications via wired and wireless connections
- Rapid electronics prototyping skills (microcontroller, analog and digital interfacing, etc.)
• Design the next generation of personal computing in a creative and innovative environment.
• Headquarters in an open, green, and bright office in South San Francisco with water views
• Work closely with a world-class team.
• Flexible work arrangements to support you in working in the way that you work best.
For full-time employees:
• Generous health, dental, and vision coverage
• Generous parental leave, unlimited PTO (we encourage taking days off!)
• 401k match
• Commuter benefits
• Relocation assistance
• Total compensation for this position may also include stock options and other potential future incentives
At Wispr, diversity is important to us.
At Wispr, we believe that true innovation starts from people from diverse backgrounds coming together, bridging ideas, and collaborating. Wispr is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
See more open positions at Wispr.ai
Something looks off?