Head of Data Operations -- Neurotech
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2024
Wispr is building a more natural way to interact with technology with neural interfaces. We have an elite team of engineers, product designers, and research scientists building magic.
We've raised 25M from top-tier VCs like NEA and 8VC. Our angels and advisors include Chester Chipperfield (product lead for the first Apple Watch), Ben Jones (COO, CTRL-Labs), Dave Gilboa (CEO, Warby Parker), and Jose Carmena (Berkeley professor; co-CEO iota). Our founders are Stanford alums and have previously sold a company and run a team at a deep tech startup with over 100M in funding.
As the head of data at Wispr, you will be responsible for shaping the execution of our data collection and user testing program. This program is at the cornerstone of Wispr's success: our ability to solve neuroscience and machine learning problems depends entirely on the quality and quantity of data we are able to collect.
You will be responsible for the strategic execution of our data collection program scale up (30x the scale of last year), hiring and managing a team of up to 10 neurotech technicians to collect the data, managing the budget for our data collection program, and recruiting participants for our studies. Your attention to detail will define the quality of learnings and insights we have from the data and user experience, and will fundamentally shape the product we ship. Your operational excellence will allow us to move fast and efficiently.
Come join us and make magic happen.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Hire and recruit up to 10 data collection technicians over the course of 2024
- Define protocols and processes for setting up experiments and collecting high-quality data
- Make key decisions about how to operationally manage the scale up, from physical space, to soundproofing, to participant coordination
- Recruit participants from diverse backgrounds
- Create a culture of accountability with neurotech technicians to ensure key insights inform R&D/product direction and high data quality
- Set requirements for software and hardware with data collection centers
- Collaborate with the Chief Scientist, Neuroscience Lead, and R&D Hardware Lead to coordinate testing programs for new generations of hardware
- Manage the operations of leasing a location and setting it up with support from the engineering team
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, And Experience
- BS or greater in biomedical engineering, neuroscience, electrical engineering, or equivalent field
- 4+ years operating a data collection/user testing program
- Experience recruiting and managing a team of technicians/operators
- Experience working with neural signals and physiological data (EMG, EEG, other electrophysiology)
• Do the best work of your life
• Design the next generation of personal computing in a creative, innovative, and collaborative environment.
• Work closely with a world-class team.
• Flexible work arrangements to support you in working in the way that you work best.
For full-time employees:
• Generous health, dental, and vision coverage
• Generous parental leave, unlimited PTO (we encourage taking days off!)
• 401k match
• Commuter benefits
• Relocation assistance
• Total compensation for this position may also include stock options and other potential future incentives
At Wispr, diversity is important to us.
At Wispr, we believe that true innovation starts with people from diverse backgrounds coming together, bridging ideas, and collaborating. Wispr is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.